Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Backstory

A hypnotist puts a subject under and tells him that he is deaf in his right ear. The subject then actually cannot hear from his right ear. This is the power of beliefs. The subject is given a post hypnotic suggestion that he will be unable to hear from his right ear and that he has had this condition since he was five years old.

A few days later at a dinner party he asks someone he is talking with to sit to his left as he cannot hear out of his right ear. How did you lose hearing in your right ear he is asked. "Oh, I was out hunting with my dad when I was five and his gun went off right next to my ear and I've been deaf in that ear since then."

His mind immediately created a backstory to justify what it believed.

Similarly smokers believe they need cigarettes and have no problem creating a backstory to explain it. It relieves stress, helps keep my weight down, relaxes me etc. None of that is true, it is just a backstory of a mind which believes it needs cigarettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment